Home | Global News | Inciting war crimes: Israel minister says force Gaza population into Egypt, cut off water, electricity

Inciting war crimes: Israel minister says force Gaza population into Egypt, cut off water, electricity

Ali Abunimah

November 15, 2012 – An Israeli minister has called for the army to bomb Gaza until the population flees en masse into Egypt’s Sinai peninsula, and for water and electricity supplies to be cut, a clear case of incitement to war crimes.Israel Katz, Israel’s transport minister, was quoted on the Orthodox website B’Hadrei Haredim on 11 November: Israel must act in Gaza with a very clear policy. The leadership of the Hamas, which is responsible for all the attacks and shooting, must be eliminated. Beyond that, we must detach from Gaza in a civilian manner – electricity, water, food, and fuel – and transition into a policy of deterrence, just like in Southern Lebanon.”…

An Israeli minister has called for the army to bomb Gaza until the population flees en masse into Egypt’s Sinai peninsula, and for water and electricity supplies to be cut, a clear case of incitement to war crimes.

Israel Katz, Israel’s transport minister, was quoted on the Orthodox website B’Hadrei Haredim on 11 November:

Israel must act in Gaza with a very clear policy. The leadership of the Hamas, which is responsible for all the attacks and shooting, must be eliminated. Beyond that, we must detach from Gaza in a civilian manner – electricity, water, food, and fuel – and transition into a policy of deterrence, just like in Southern Lebanon.”

Why don’t they shoot at us from Southern Lebanon and do from Gaza? Because there is no clear boundary with Gaza. Because the civilian link with Gaza is unreasonable. Gaza should be considered a border, and every time we are hurt, hurt back [retaliate]. When I see Palestinian citizens escaping into Sinai, the way Lebanese citizens escape toward Beirut when there is a round of fire against Israel – we will then know that the deterrence has been achieved.”

Calling for war crimes

Katz, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud Party, appears to be inciting war crimes of the kind Israel committed in Lebanon and previously in Gaza.

In July 2006, hundreds of thousands of civilians in Lebanon fled their homes to escape an indiscriminate Israeli onslaught that left 1,200 people, mostly civilians, dead, and the country’s infrastructure devastated.

Israel’s bombardment of the civilian areas came to be known as the “Dahiya doctrine” after the southern suburb of Beirut that was leveled by Israeli attacks.

According to the UN-commissioned Goldstone Report, Israel applied the “Dahiya doctrine” again during its 2008-2009 attack on Gaza. The report said on page 23:

The tactics used by Israeli military armed forces in the Gaza offensive are consistent with previous practices, most recently during the Lebanon war in 2006. A concept known as the Dahiya doctrine emerged then, involving the application of disproportionate force and the causing of great damage and destruction to civilian property and infrastructure, and suffering to civilian populations.

The Goldstone report noted that Israeli officials had explicitly articulated the goals and methods of this strategy.

Such use of indiscriminate and “disrproportionate” force (there is no such thing as proportionate force against civilians), calculated to destroy civilian infrastructure and cause suffering, amounts to a war crime.

Now, just as in those previous cases, Israeli ministers are not shy about publicly stating their criminal intent, confident of the international impunity and complicity that has so far protected them from accountability.

Israel’s current assault, which it began by breaking a truce with Palestinian resistance factions in Gaza, has claimed at least 22 Palestinian lives in recent days, with dozens of injuries.

Sixteen Palestinians have been killed since 14 November, the latest a 10-month old baby named Hanin Tafish. Yesterday, Israeli bombardment killed 11-month-old Omar Masharawi, the son of a BBC staffer in Gaza.

Three Israelis were killed this morning in retaliatory rocket fire from Gaza

Day Two of Israeli Assault on Gaza: At least 15 killed in Gaza including 4 children, over 150 injured; 3 Israelis killed near Ashkelon
by Alex Kane and Adam Horowitz

November 15, 2012

Israel’s attack on the Gaza Strip has entered its second day. Ma’an News gives the latest casualty figures in Gaza:

The death toll in the Gaza Strip rose to 15 on Thursday as a Palestinian child succumbed to wounds sustained earlier and a man’s body was found buried in the rubble of an Israeli airstrike.

Eighteen-month-old Walid al-Abadleh succumbed to his injuries sustained in an Israeli airstrike east of Khan Younis in southern Gaza early Thursday.

The body of a 52-year-old man was also pulled out of the rubble of an airstrike in the al-Amoudi area in the northern Gaza Strip.

Overall, medics say 15 have died and 150 were injured in the 24 hours since Israel began a major escalation in the Gaza Strip and assassinated a senior Hamas military commander.

At around noon eastern time, a rocket fired reportedly by Islamic Jihad hit a suburb of Tel Aviv. No casualties have been reported. During a press call organized by the Institute for Middle East Understanding, the Palestine Center’s Yousef Munayyer wondered whether the rocket striking near Tel Aviv meant that a further escalation, and perhaps a ground invasion, was on its way.

In other news, the Egyptian government has announced that their prime minister, Hisham Kandil, will “make a one-day visit to Gaza on Friday in a show of support for the Palestinian enclave,” according to Reuters.

Three Israelis were killed when a rocket hit their home in Kiryat Malakhi, a town about 10 miles from Ashkelon. Israel claims that 138 missiles from Gaza have exploded in Israeli territory and the IDF announced it has attacked 227 Gaza targets. Israeli news outlet Channel 10 reports that 70 Israelis have been injured due to Palestinian rocket fire.
8188124500 08e8972f5c z
A destroyed kitchen inside a house of a Israeli family in the city of Kiryat Malachi, after a rocket fired from Gaza hit the house, November 15, 2012. (Photo: Oren Ziv/ Activestills)

The Israeli bombardment shows no signs of abating, and on Wednesday night Haaretz reported that the Israeli “security cabinet authorized the IDF to draft reserve soldiers in order to expand the Gaza operation if necessary.”

Meanwhile, Haaretz has more details showing why this Israeli military operation was unnecessary. The Israeli daily interviews peace activist Gershon Baskin, who claims that “Hours before Hamas strongman Ahmed Jabari was assassinated, he received the draft of a permanent truce agreement with Israel, which included mechanisms for maintaining the ceasefire in the case of a flare-up between Israel and the factions in the Gaza Strip.” More from Haaretz:

Baskin told Haaretz on Thursday that senior officials in Israel knew about his contacts with Hamas and Egyptian intelligence aimed at formulating the permanent truce, but nevertheless approved the assassination.

“I think that they have made a strategic mistake,” Baskin said, an error “which will cost the lives of quite a number of innocent people on both sides.”

“This blood could have been spared. Those who made the decision must be judged by the voters, but to my regret they will get more votes because of this,” he added.

Baskin made Jabari’s acquaintance when he served as a mediator between David Meidin, Israel’s representative to the Shalit negotiations, and Jabari. “Jabari was the all-powerful man in charge. He always received the messages via a third party, Razi Hamad of Hamas, who called him Mister J.”

Palestinian journalist Mohammed Omer speaks to Democracy Now.

The U.S. State Department released a statement yesterday defending Israel’s actions. “We strongly condemn the barrage of rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel, and we regret the death and injury of innocent Israeli and Palestinian civilians caused by the ensuing violence,” spokesman Mark Toner said in a statement.

The Obama administration’s support for Israel is on the minds of many Palestinians in Gaza. There was “the green light from the American administration,” said Amjad Shawa, director of the Gaza office of the Palestinian Non-Governmental Organizations Network, during a press call organized by the Institute for Middle East Understanding.

Steve Sosebee, President and chief executive of Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, blasted the U.S.’s stance on the conflict. “We were founded on the ideals of democracy and justice, yet those same ideals are not applied to Palestinians,” he said. “That’s a violation of our basic values, and a certain level of hypocrisy from our officials who are bought off by people who don’t share those values.”

Mondoweiss has been closely following the escalation in the Gaza Strip. See these links for more of our coverage:

Israel rejects truce and escalates fighting in Gaza with assassination of Hamas leader; 10 killed, 90 wounded in Israeli attacks
Timeline of Israeli escalation in Gaza and Israel’s history of breaking ceasefires
Israeli elections . . and death in Gaza
Almost Dead: An eyewitness report from Gaza
Nous accusons: Mainstream media fails to report context and severity of Israeli atrocities against Gaza
On the West Bank, the mood is resigned, edgy
JVP: It is unseemly for Operation ‘Pillar of Defense’ to invoke biblical passage from Exodus when Israel is dominant military power in the region
Gaza Under Attack: International eyewitnesses call for action
Worldwide protests against Israeli aggression in Gaza

Source

Check Also

Muslims in Xinjiang, China, ordered to hand over all copies of The Qur’aan to authorities

Cii Radio| Ayesha Ismail| 29 September 2017| 08 Muharram 1439 Muslims have reportedly been targeted …

Violence in Myanmar shows the world needs to stop romanticising Buddhism

17 Sep, 2017 2:41pm  7 minutes to read Play Video The UN migration agency (IOM) …