Is it permissible to play board games?
It will be permissible with the provision that the following conditions are fulfilled:
- The activity should not contain any Haraam elements. (e.g. Gambling)
- The entertainment/activity should not distract one from the Sunan Mu’akkadah Ibadah and obligatory duties. (e.g. Salah, obedience to parents, attending to ones chores).
- The activity (games or entertainment) should not cause one to become unmindful and inconsiderate to others. (e.g. using abusive language, belittling others etc).
- It should not have a negative impact on one’s daily responsibilities.
- The entertainment/game should not be of such a nature that one becomes obsessed with it nor should there be over indulgence.
- There should be no extravagance or imitation of the salient features of the Kuffaar.
(Adapted from: Ahkaamut Tarfeeh wal Al’aab)
And Allah knows best
Suhail Tarmahomed (Mufti)
Checked and Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) Fatwa Department