Nasihah (Advice): Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) has stated,
“The fast remains suspended between the heavens and the earth until fitrah is discharged.” (Targheeb)
SADAQATUL FITR – Frequently Asked Questions
Q.What is the amount of Sadaqatul Fitr for this year, Ramadhaan/Shawwaal 1436 (2015)?
- The recommended amount for KZN, South Africa is R18.00 or more per person for Hanafis.
- Shafis have to pay R33 minumum.
Q. To whom can Sadaqatul Fitr be given?
- Sadaqatul Fitr should preferably be given Muslims who are eligible for Zakaat. (al-Fataawa Hindiyyah)
Q. On whom is Sadaqatul Fitr Waajib (compulsory)?
- Sadaqatul Fitr is Waajib on every Muslim who has the value of Nisaab in access of necessities on the day of Eid after subtracting debts. (al-Fataawa Hindiyyah)
Q. What is the status of Sadaqatul Fitr, Waajib, Sunnah etc.?
- Sadaqatul Fitr is Waajib. (al-Fataawa Hindiyyah)
Q. I have minor children. Is Sadaqatul Fitr waajib upon them?
A. Yes, Sadaqatul Fitr will have to be discharged on their behalf by the father. If they have their own savings then it could be discharged from their money. (al-Fataawa Hindiyyah)
Q. When can Sadaqatul Fitr be discharged?
- Sadaqatul Fitr can be discharged on any day during Ramadaan before the day of Eid.(Raddul Muhtar)
Q. What is the deadline for discharging Sadaqatul Fitr?
- Sadaqatul Fitr should be discharged before the Eid Salaah. If one fails
to do so it should be discharged as soon as possible. (al-Fataawa Hindiyyah)
Q. What is the significance of Sadaqatul Fitr?
- Sadaqatul Fitr is a Sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) and an opportunity to ease the plight of those in need.
Q. What is the consequence for those who do not discharge Sadaqatul Fitr?
- Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘The fast remains suspended between the heavens and the earth until Sadaqatul Fitr is discharged.’ (Targhib)
Q. What is the best method of discharging Sadaqatul Fitr i.e. should I give
it to an organisation or individual?
- It is preferable to pursue the needy and hand it to them personally. However it also permissible to hand it to an organisation provided the organisation discharges it timeously.
Q. What is the position of my Sadaqatul Fitr if I handed it to an organisation that discharged it long after the prescribed time?
- By giving your Sadaqatul Fitr to an organisation you have appointed them as wakeel (representative) on your behalf to discharge your Fitrah. Your fitrah will only be discharged when the organisation distributes the money. Default from their side will be considered a default on your path. It is thus advisable that you query from the organisation as to when and how they discharge their funds.
Q. I did not discharge Sadaqatul Fitr timeously. What should I do?
- Discharge it as soon as possible. You should also repent for having delayed.
And Allah Knows Best