SAMIA kept checking the notifications on her mobile, desperately waiting for her friend Leena’s email. Why is she taking so long to reply? Is she angry with me? Doesn’t she need me anymore? Many such thoughts flashed through Samia’s mind.
But things were completely the opposite on Leena’s side. She was extremely busy with piles of work due to emergency leave that she had had to take due to her grandmother’s sickness, completely unaware of Samia’s negative thoughts.
What would it have taken if Samia had thought positively, had paused and taken the time to think that Leena might be busy with something because she never did this usually…
“Get going. Move forward. Aim High. Plan a takeoff. Don’t just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the airplane. It simply won’t happen. Change your attitude and gain some altitude. Believe me, you’ll love it up here.”
What is Positive thinking?
Positive thinking doesn’t mean ignoring problems in life. It actually means to approach the problems in a more positive and productive way. Expecting the best and not the worst!
Our thinking often starts with self-talk. Self-talk is the endless stream of unspoken thoughts that run through our head every day. These automatic thoughts can be either positive or negative. Some of our self-talk comes from logic and reason or may arise from misconceptions that we create because of lack of information.
If the thoughts that run through our head are mostly negative, our outlook on life will mostly be negative. If our thoughts are mostly positive, then we will have a positive outlook towards life. It is up to us to decide whether we see the glass half full or half empty.
How can we adopt a positive approach?
“If you don’t learn to climb the mountains, you will always remain in the hole.”
If the first thoughts about any situation that has happened are negative then taking the first step toward positivity is the solution. Thoughts are always under our control and can be changed. We can always try to follow certain ways to develop a positive attitude, such as:
1. Change the perspective: Thinking that the world is against you or that you were born unlucky has simply no basis.
2. Forget the past. A bad past does not mean a bad future.
3. Don’t be a product or a victim of your circumstances. If you’re not happy with the way your life is going, set goals and get moving! Learn from the past to build character and make better decisions.
4. Reminding yourself with positive quotes, sharing them with others and staying with positive people helps a lot.
5. Remember that life is too short to waste on negativity.
6. Finally, be a balanced optimist. Stay prepared for the worst but hope for the best – the former makes you sensible, and the latter makes you an optimist.
7. Having a positive expression on one’s face can actually lead to being more optimistic about the future.
8. Doing nice things for others is an instant positive “pick me up”.
9. Books on positivity are always a good read.
10. Count your blessings. Once you do that you will realize “And which of the blessings of our Lord will we deny?”
11. Be productive in your life. Set goals, break down work into smaller portions, don’t take on too many tasks at once, prioritize your work and cut off distractions. It will help you stay busy, thus leading towards positivity because you will realize that you have the capacity to achieve quite a lot.
12. Try to accept things rather than expecting a lot. It reminds me of a quote by my teacher:“I have learned to accept more than to expect. That’s why I have fewer disappointments in life.”
Benefits of Positive Thinking:
➀ Positive thinking helps us cope with stressful situations, ignore negative thoughts, reduce anxiety and gives us confidence, allowing us to make better decisions and focus more.
➁ Good health: Our thoughts directly affect the body and how it works. So being positive helps us remain calm and take care of ourselves naturally.
➂ Better time management: How many of us complain of wasting hours on end indulging in negative thoughts?!
➃ Positive people attract more friends and it helps them stay happy and successful and they have greater peace in their life.
It’s not about what happens to you, it’s about how you react to what happens. I wish you all a very productive and positive lifestyle.
Positivity needs to be searched. It needs to be developed. It needs to be practiced and it needs to be spread.
“Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity.”