Asalamualaikum dear Mufti Sahb,
1) Can you please advise what the best thing to read at the graveyard for the deceased is?
2) where should one be positioned at the graveside i.e. at the feet, head, away from the qabar or facing the kaaba and is it okay for sisters to remain in car if accompanying her mehram?
(Question published as received)hat
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
When visiting a grave, one should begin by reciting the following:
السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ أَهْلَ الدِّيَارِ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُسْلِمِينَ، وَإِنَّا، إِنْ شَاءَ اللهُ لَلَاحِقُونَ، أَسْأَلُ اللهَ لَنَا وَلَكُمُ الْعَافِيَةَ
(Transliteration: Assalaamu Alaikum Ahlad Diyaari Minal Mumineen Wal Muslimeen, Wa Innaa Insha Allahu Bikum Lalaahiqoon. As Alullahu Lana Wa Lakumul Aafiyah.)
Translation: “Peace be upon you, O believing men and women from the dwellers of this place. Certainly, Allah willing, we will join you. We ask Allah to grant ease to you and us.” (Muslim)1
Thereafter, a person may recite from the following whatever is easy for him:
- Surah Fatihah
- Beginning of Surah Baqarah until “Muflihoon”
- Ayatul Kursi
- Last Rukoo’ of Surah Baqarah
- Surah Yaseen
- Surah Mulk
- Surah Takaathur
- Surah Ikhlaas (3, 7, or 12 times)
Then a person makes du’aa to Allah to convey the reward to the deceased.
Whilst making du’aa one should be at the feet of the deceased if possible facing towards the face of the deceased. Otherwise, at the head of the deceased.
A sister accompanied by her Mahram to the graveyard may remain in the car and send reward for the deceased from the car. It should also be remembered that when visiting the graveyard, one should reflect on death and prepare for one’s own death.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Student Darul Iftaa
Georgia, United States
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.