Nabeela Vadi – Cii Radio |21 Safar 1437/04 December 2015
Have you heard about the fruit that contains a drop of water from paradise in each seed? Known in Arabic as; Ar Rumm, the Pomegranate; is certainly a blessing in disguise.
Mentioned 3 times in the Qur’aan, and a sunnah food of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW), the pomegranate is the fruit of Jannah.
“In both of them [gardens] are two springs, spouting […]In both of them are fruit and palm trees and pomegranates. So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?” [Quran, 55:66-69]
The Blessed Fruit
Represented as a pink-like outer shell this sweet-sour fruit reveals gems of pink-red pulp-like tissue, once the white leathery skin is removed. These “jelly-seeds” can be plucked loose for a snack or an exotic additive to your drink.
Rich in vitamin C, Vitamin B5, B9, K, potassium, zinc and calcium; this Pandora fruit with its hidden treasures is a nutritious fruit, as much as it is a heavenly treat.
“And He it is who produces gardens (of vine), trellised and untrellised, and palms and seed-produce of which the fruits are of various sorts, and olives and pomegranates, like and unlike; eat of its fruit when it bears fruit, and pay the due of it on the day of its reaping, and do not act extravagantly; surely He does not love the extravagant.” [Quran, 6:141]
Listed hereunder, are a few health benefits of eating pomegranate and/ or drinking its juice
- Fights Breast Cancer – pomegranate juice destroys breast cancer cells and helps prevent breast cancer cells from forming.
- Lung Cancer Prevention – pomegranate juice may inhibit the development of lung cancer.
- Slows Prostate Cancer
- Protects the Neonatal Brain – Studies show that consumption of pomegranate juice may protect the neonatal brain from damage after injury.
- Prevention of Osteoarthritis – Several studies indicate that pomegranate juice may prevent cartilage deterioration.
- Protects the Arteries – prevents plaque from building up in the arteries and may reverse previous plaque buildup.
- Assists in Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease
- Lowers Cholesterol – It lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises HDL (good cholesterol).
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Dental Protection – Research suggests that drinking pomegranate juice may be a natural way to prevent dental plaque.
- Anti-oxidant – Acts as natural anti-oxidant in the body and fights bad bacteria.
- Immune System Booster – strengthens the immune system and helps prevents colds and flues.
The Best Reason to eat Pomegranates
The Beloved Prophet, Muhammed SAW is reported to have said, “there is not a pomegranate which does not have a pip from one of the pomegranate of the Garden(of Jannah) in it.” [Abu Nu’aim]
And who will miss the opportunity to not have the Mubarak water of Jannah flow in their blood? Eating the pomegranate fruit is a sunnah of Allah’s beloved Rasool SAW and so this is the best reason for us to appease our tastebuds.