Virtues of this night
It is narrated from Hadhrat Mu’az bin Jabal that Rasulullah said: “On the fifteenth night of
Sha’baan, Allah Ta’ala bestows His special attention on His entire creation. He then forgives His entire
creation except a polytheist and one who has hatred for others.” (Ibnu Hibbaan #5665)
In another Hadith, Rasulullah said: “On the fifteenth night of Sha’baan, Allah Ta’ala showers his special attention on the nearest heaven. Thereafter Allah Ta’ala announces; ‘Is there anyone who seeks forgiveness so that I may forgive him? Is there anyone who seeks sustenance so that I may grant it to him? Is there anyone who is in difficulty so that I may relieve him.’ These announcements continue until the break of the dawn (Ibnu Maajah #1388).
Who is deprived on this night?
Despite the great significance of this night, it is learnt from several Ahaadith that certain people are deprived of the forgiveness of Allah Ta’ala on this occasion. They are as follows:
1. The idolators (those who join partners with Allah Ta’ala).
2. Those who have enmity, hatred and malice for other people.
3. Consumers of intoxicants. (drugs included)
4. Those who disobey their parents.
5. Males who wear their trousers, kurtas, etc. below their ankles.
6. Those who commit murder and adultery.
7. Those who cut off family ties.
We should therefore make sincere taubah from all these sins so that we are not deprived of Allah Ta’ala’s
What to do on this night?
1. Start off your ibaadat immediately after the Maghrib Salaah. Don’t wait till the last portion of the night
to commence with ones ibaadat.
2. Engage in much taubah and istighfaar.
3. This is a special night of dua. Make as much dua as possible. Remember all your beloved ones and
make dua for the entire ummat of Nabi .
4. Engage in the zikr of laailaah illallah, durood shareef, third kalimah, etc.
5. Engage in much Nafal Salaah. If possible, read Salaatut Tasbeeh as well. Perform lengthy rakaats of
6. Recite some parts of the Qur-aan Shareef especially Surah Yaseen, Tabaarak, Surah Sajdah, Surah
7. Ponder over one’s past life and firmly resolve to reform and change oneself.
Dua to be recited on Laylatul Baraa-at
I seek protection in your forgiveness from your punishment; and I seek shelter in your pleasure from your displeasure; and I seek safety in you, from you. Glory be to you. I am unable to fully praise you. You are as you have praised yourself.
Thereafter he said to me: “Learn this dua and teach it to others. Jibra’eel taught this dua to me and
asked me to recite it in my sajdah.” (Shu’abul Imaan #3556).