Nasihah (Advice): The reward for Takbeer e Ula
Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik Radiyallahu anhu reported that Rasulullah sallahu alaihi wa sallam said, “Whoever offers Salaah for the sake of Allah for forty days in congregation making it (in time for) the initial takbir (takbeeratul ula), will be granted two exemptions;
an exemption from the fire and a [protection] from hypocrisy.” (Sunan Tirmidhi)
Question and Answer:
- What constitutes as takbeer e oola
1) some are of the opinion that a few seconds after the takbeer.
2) others say after surah Fatiha
3) And others say even in the rukuh
Which is the most authentic?
(Question published as received)
- Tabeeratul Ula (The first takbeer of Salaah, also known as Takbeeratul Iftitaah, the takbeer that starts the salaah).
Imam Abu Hanifa (rahimahullah) holds the view that one who says the takbeer with the Imam, will obtain the virtue of takbeeratul ula.
Imams Abu Yusuf and Muhammad (rahimahumallah) hold the view that one who makes the takbeer immediately after the imam, will obtain the virtue of takbeeratul ula.
After mentioning the views of the Imams of the madhab, later fuqaha have mentioned that there exists other views as well. These are:
- To join the salaah before the imam completes three ayaat.
- To join the salaah before the imam completes Surah Faatiha.
- To get the first rakat with the imam i.e. to join the imam in the ruku of the first rakat.
These fuqaha, then state that the preferred view is that one needs to get the first rakat with the Imam to obtain the virtue of takbeeratul ula, since this is the easier and more accommodating view. (Hindiyyah Vol. 1 pg. 69, Shaami Vol. 1 pg 526)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Muhammad bin Zayn Patel
Checked and approved by
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa
Mufti Moosa Salie
(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.)
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians
223 Alpine Road, Overport
Durban, South Africa
Tel : +27 (0) 31 2077099