- On whom is Qurbani Wajib?
Qurbani is Wajib (obligatory) on every Muslim who is:
1) Mature (has reached the age of puberty),
2) Muqeem (i.e. he is not a Shari traveller)
3) Possesses the Nisaab amount. It is not necessary that this amount be in one’s possession for a complete lunar year.
2. I would like to do Qurbani but I do not have sufficient funds. I am not a person who pays Zakaat as I do not possess the Nisaab amount. I know I cannot afford to do Qurbani but can I take a loan and do Qurbani this year?
If you do not possess the Nisaab amount (which is currently +/- R4 700.00) during the days of Qurbani, it will not be Wajib on you to do the Qurbani. Therefore, you should desist from taking a loan for this purpose. A person upon whom Qurbani is not necessary should not incur debts beyond one’s capacity to offer the Qurbani.
3. I heard that Qurbani can be done on three days. I know that Eidul Adha is on the 10thof Zul Hijjah. Does this mean that Qurbani can also be done two days after Eid? And what is the earliest time for Qurbani?
The time for Qurbani begins after the Eid Salaah on the 10th of Zul Hijjah and ends at the setting of the sun on the 12th of Zul Hijjah. It is better to make Qurbani on the first day then the second, and thereafter the third.
4. Is it permissible to do Qurbani of a castrated animal?
It is permissible and preferable to slaughter a castrated animal. A castrated animal is usually bigger in size and the meat is superior.
It is recorded in the Hadith that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam made Qurbani of a castrated animal. (Abu Dawood)
5. We live in South Africa and we have our Qurbani done in Pakistan or India. If their days of Eid are before or after us, will our Qurbani be valid?
- The Fuqahaa have stated that it is preferable that one slaughters the Qurbani with one’s own hands or at least witness his Qurbani being slaughtered in front of him. Nevertheless, if you have your Qurbani done overseas, it will be valid and permissible. If you are having your animal slaughtered overseas (e.g. in Pakistan or India) and the day of Eid is one day before or after Eid in your country, the country in which the animal is being slaughtered will be taken into consideration. Therefore, if the day of Eid falls one or two days in India or Pakistan before South Africa and the Qurbani animal is slaughtered on that day, the Qurbani will be valid.
6. We will be doing Qurbani at our home this year. My son, my wife and I. I would like to know if it is permissible for my wife to do her own Qurbani?
- It is permissible for your wife to do Qurbani by her own hands. Care should be taken to ensure that the laws of Hijab are observed and she is not exposed to non-Mahram males in the process.
7. My wife usually performs her Qurbani at home with her own hands. On this Eid, she is due to have her menses on the day of Eid. Is it permissible for her to slaughter in this state?
- It is permissible for your wife to slaughter the Qurbani animal in the state of menstruation. The Qurbani will be valid.