• Istighfar (Astaghfirullah) is the gateway of relief and happiness. Whenever you are in distress start reciting it and In sha Allah it will take you out of your anxiety and will put you in a peaceful situation and will give you happiness.
• Istighfar removes anxiety and duas are answered.
• Istighfar opens the door of sustenance
• Istighfar opens the door of mercy.
• Istighfar opens the door of knowledge.
• Istighfar is also gateway of productivity.
• Istighfar relieves you. When you feel that sadness within you, when you are disturbed and frustrated, when anxiety surrounds you, say “Astaghfirullah” “Astaghfirullah”
• Ibn Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, “If anyone constantly seeks pardon (from Allah), Allah will appoint for him a way out of every distress and a relief from every anxiety, and will provide sustenance for him from where he expects not.” [Abu Dawud].
• Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) not only made himself 70 till 100 times a day Istighfar and Taubah, but as well enjoined the Muslims to ask Allah Ta’ala frequently for forgiveness. One of the many virtues of Istighfar, that can be found in Ahadith, is that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala deals with the person engaging much in Istighfar in a similar way like with the servant attaining Taqwa.
• Sayyidina Abdullah bin Abbas (radhiallahu anho) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “The one who (regularly) says Istighfaar, that is, frequently repent to Allah Ta’aala for sins committed, Allah Azza Wa-Jal will open a path from poverty and difficulties. All sorrow and hardship will be removed, and in its place prosperity and contentment granted. One will receive sustenance from unimagined and unexpected sources.”
• Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) has said in another Hadith: “The one who seeks forgiveness for Muslim males and females from Allah Ta’aala twenty six or twenty five times every day, Allah Ta’ala will count that person among those whose Du’a is accepted, and through the barakah of whom those on earth gain Rizq (sustenance).
• In one minute, you can say “Astaghfiru Allaah” more than 100 times. The virtue of seeking forgiveness is well-known; it is a reason of obtaining forgiveness, entering Paradise, having good provisions, increasing one’s strength, repelling harm, having affairs facilitated, the descent of rain, and increasing in wealth and children.
• Do Tasbih of Astaghfaar as much as you can every time you free. Allah will count you among those whose duas are accepted and Rizq is abundant if you seek forgiveness to all Muslims. Do Tasbih of Astaghfaar 100 times daily as it is also the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
• Reciting Astaghfiruallah is an effective method of calming our self and wipes away the variety of worldly worries from our mind and body. It may also help us, if we are suffering from depression, it calm us and lessen our depression.
• Astaghfirullah also helps us to refrain from all forms of sins. Regularly saying this reminds us that Allah is everywhere and in this way there is very small chances of doing wrongful actions.
• When you do something wrong, by only reciting Astaghfirullah, we can easily get forgiveness from Allah. We should also ask for forgiveness from the Almighty Allah for other people, in this way Allah not only forgives them but we might even get rewards from Him.
• The doors of repentance are always open therefore don’t delay your repentance in a hope of tomorrow, as tomorrow is uncertain , Repent now and make it a habit to ask Allah’s forgiveness atleast 100 times a day simply by reciting “Astaghfirullah”, it hardly takes 1 minute and please encourage others too.
• Importance of Istighfar from The Quran
“Saying, ‘Ask forgiveness from your Lord; for He is Oft-Forgiving; ‘He will send rain to you in abundance; ‘Give you increase in wealth and sons; and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers (of flowing water).” [Surah Nuh 10-13] (In these above verses we find that Hazrat Nuh ( May Allah be pleased with him )is addressing to his people, advising them to ask forgiveness (Istighfar) and describing them the benefits of it)
• A story about Istighfar
This story about “Istighfar” is from the life of Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal, who is considered as a renowned scholar of Islam and a famous theologian. During his old age, while Imam Ahmed was travelling he stopped by a town. After the prayers, he wanted to stay for the night in the masjid yard because he didn’t know anyone in the town. Owing to his humility, he hadn’t introduced himself to anyone thinking that if he did, he would be welcomed by many people.
Failing to recognize Ahmed bin Hanbal, the caretaker of the mosque refused to let him stay in the mosque. As Imam Ahmed was quite old, the caretaker had to drag him out of the mosque. On seeing this, a baker from a nearby place felt pity for this man (Imam Ahmed) and offered to be the host to him for the night. During his stay with the baker, Imam Ahmed observed that the baker would constantly recite Istighfar (seeking forgiveness from Allah). Imam Ahmed asked the baker if the constant practice of saying Istighfar had any effect on him. The baker responded by telling Imam Ahmed that Allah had accepted all of his duas (supplications), except one. When he asked him what dua was it that hadn’t been accepted, the baker replied that he had been asking Allah to provide him the privilege to meet the famous scholar Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal. On this, Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal said that Allah had not only listened to his dua but had dragged him onto his (the baker’s) doorsteps. [Summarized from Al Jumuah magazine, vol 19, issue 7]