Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbas Radhiyallahu Anhuma narrates, “Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam made compulsory the Zakaat (Sadaqah) of Fitr to cleanse the fast from improper actions and as a means of feeding the poor.” (Abu Dawood)
Kindly note that the Jamiatul Ulama KZN will be collecting Sadaqatul Fitr until Monday 10th May 2021/27th Ramadaan 1442. The Sadaqatul Fitr amount in KZN is R20 (minimum suggested amount).
Nedbank – Greyville (128905):
Acc. Name: Jamiatul Ulama KZN
Acc. Number: 1314 145363
- What is the status of Sadaqatul Fitr?
A. Sadaqatul Fitr is Waajib.
- On whom is Sadaqatul Fitr compulsory?
A. Sadaqatul Fitr is Waajib on every Muslim who has the value of Nisaab on the day of Eid after subtracting debts.
- I have minor children. Is Sadaqatul Fitr waajib upon them?
A. Yes, Sadaqatul Fitr will have to be discharged on their behalf by their guardian. If they have their own savings then it could be discharged from their money.
- To whom can Sadaqatul Fitr be given?
A. Those poor Muslims who do not have Zakaat Nisaab and are considered poor.
- When can Sadaqatul Fitr be discharged?
A. Sadaqatul Fitr can be discharged before the day of Eid.
- What is the deadline for discharging Sadaqatul Fitr?
A. Sadaqatul Fitr should be discharged before the Eid Salaah. If one fails to do so it should be discharged as soon as possible.
- Does Sadaqatul Fitr necessarily have to be discharged in cash?
A. No, one can give food etc. to the value of Sadaqatul Fitr.
- What is the best method of discharging Sadaqatul Fitr i.e. should I give it to an organisation or individual?
A. It is preferable to pursue the needy and hand it to them personally. However it also permissible to hand it to an organisation provided the organisation discharges it timeously.
- What is the position of my Sadaqatul Fitr if I handed it to an organisation that discharged it long after the prescribed time?
A. By giving your Sadaqatul Fitr to an organisation you have appointed them wakeel (representative) on your behalf to discharge your Fitrah. Your fitrah will only be discharged when the organisation distributes the money. Default from their side will be considered a default on your path.
N.B It is thus advisable that you query from the organisation as to when and how they discharge their funds.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.)
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians
223 Alpine Road, Overport
Durban, South Africa
Tel : +27 (0) 31 2077099