This is a detailed, yet easily accessible, manual on what to do when someone dies. It covers the procedures due upon a person’s death. The rites of preparing the body for burial, the bathing, the shrouding, and the procedure for funeral prayer, according to all four Sunni schools, are discussed. Many important questions are answered.
- Is it permitted to transport the body abroad for burial?
- Can a headstone be placed on the grave?
- What can the heirs do for their deceased loved ones after burial?
- What are the etiquette for visiting graves?
- Is the posthumous donation of reward (isal al-thawab) permissible?
- Finally, how does one make atonements and expiations and settle debts on behalf of the deceased?