Can you confirm the source of this narration?
إذا كثر الزنا كثر القتل ووقع الطاعون
Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has recorded this as part of a longer narration, as the statement of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu). He has declared the narration authentic and ‘Allamah Dhahabi concurs.
(Mustadrak Hakim, vol. 4 pg. 504. Also see: Fathul Bari, Hadith: 5734 for other similar Hadiths)
When adultery becomes rampant, murders and plagues will become widespread.
THE EFFECTS OF IMMORALITY BEING THE NORM IN A COMMUNITY
What is the authentication if this narration?
Rasulullah (sallallahu ’alayhi wasallam) said:
“If ever immorality spreads in a community and there is no sense of shame on its occurrence or mentioning it (and people talk about it as if nothing bad has taken place), diseases which were not present in the time of their predecessors will spread among them.”
This is part of a lengthy Hadith reported by Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma), and is recorded in the following Hadith sources:
Sunan Ibn Majah, Hadith: 4019, Mustadrak Hakim, vol.4 pg.540-541 & Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 3042.
Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has declared it authentic (sahih) and ‘Allamah Dhahabi (rahimahullah) concurs.
‘Allamah Busiri (rahimahullah) has also declared it as suitable for practice.
(Misbahuz Zujajah, Hadith: 1414. Also see Targhib, Hadith: 1135)
The full narration is as follows:
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) turned to us and said:
‘O Muhajirin, there are five things with which you will be tested, and I seek refuge with Allah that you live to see them.
- Immorality never appears among a nation to such an extent that they commit it openly, but plagues and diseases that were never known among the predecessors will spread among them.
2. They do not cheat in weights and measures but they will be stricken with famine, severe calamity and the oppression of their rulers.
3. They do not withhold the Zakah of their wealth, but rain will be withheld from the sky, and were it not for the animals, no rain would fall on them.
4. They do not break their covenant with Allah and His Messenger, but Allah will enable their enemies to overpower them and take some of what is in their hands.
5. If their leaders do not rule according to the Book of Allah and seek all good from that which Allah has revealed, Allah will cause them to harm one another.’
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar