A MUSLIMS RESPONSE REACTION TO BLASPHEMY
Certain elements in the western media has constantly been looking for avenues to provoke Muslim sentiments and offend Muslims. In recent years, this offensive has reached severely unacceptable proportions. Certain media mavericks have belligerently transcended the limits of respect and religious sensitivity and have struck at the very roots of our Imaan by blaspheming our beloved Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam and very recently Allah Ta’ala. We are well aware of the Danish cartoon saga that offended Muslims and tested the resolve of the Ummah.
These provocative publications demonstrate utter contempt for Islam and the religious beliefs of the Muslims. The right to freedom of speech has been grossly abused by showing total disregard for the sensitivities of the Muslims globally. Muslims view publications of such offensive material as a serious attack on the integrity of their religion, and as an attack on the global Muslim community.
This insensitive and uncouth mentality of the disbelievers has been mentioned in the Qur’aanul Kareem in the following verse :
“Foul speech has emanated from their mouths, and what is concealed in their hearts is much worse.” (Sura Ale Imraan –Verse 118)
As the raging flames of Islamaphobia (hatred for Islam) rapidly gain momentum worldwide and the antagonist behaviour towards Muslims continue to rise, it becomes imperative for Muslims to consider positive mediums of dealing with such issues. Accordingly if Muslims are educated and focused on effective modes of dealing with such incitements, then the tricks of the antagonists could very well become the cause of their own undoing and the opportunity could be utilized also to enlighten millions about Islam. This can only happen with the correct approach.
WHAT TO DO?
• Consult with the Ulama before doing anything. Shura and consultation is vital in such issues.
• Urge the media to act responsibly in sensitive issues and to utilize the right to freedom of expression to acceptable levels by not offending or inciting racial or religious animosity. Those using the printed media for advertising their product could use sanctions as a bargaining tool.
• Individuals, organizations and communities should create a sustained flow of letters, and correspondence to the various national and international media houses expounding the nobility of the Ambiyaa Alaihimus Salaam and their outstanding qualities and examples to humanity. (Copies of each such contribution should also be sent to the Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) offices for compilation into a suitable recording register.
• Constant struggle with the media is imperative in an age when the media has become the means of influencing the minds, views and opinions of the masses.
• True expression of our love and honour for Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam is to follow his sunnah. Expressing our anger at disrespect to Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam is important. But it will seem hypocritical if we do not emulate his outward appearance, and his noble character. The actions of Muslims, most definitely, speak louder than words.
• Use these opportunities to explain to the world the great personality of Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam. His lifestyle and character should be printed and published extensively. This will be an eye-opener to many confused people searching for the truth.
• Engaging in the effort of Dawah draws the help of Allah Ta’ala. Extolling the beauty of Islam verbally is not sufficient. Practicing Islam correctly and sincerely is indispensable in the course of uplifting the Deen of Allah Ta’ala.
• Those with writing skills should utilize their talents by submitting articles to the Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) – Publications Department, and their local and mainstream media and thereby reveal the lofty character of Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam and his teachings. Even the behaviour of Sahaaba Ridwaanullaahi alaihim ajmaeen could be portrayed.
• Never lose sight of the power of Allah Ta’ala.
• Seek Allah’s help through patience and Salaah, patience here means fulfilling the commands of Allah Ta’ala and abstaining from his prohibitions as taught to us by Nabi Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam.
• Increase the recitation of Durood and Salaam, Istighfaar, and make Duaa a regular practice. This should be done by all, including the womenfolk of our families. Duaa should be made for the Hidaayat of those who are embroiled in the instigation of this blasphemy against Islam. If Hidaayat is not decreed for them then Duaa should be made for their destruction. Such Duaa should be made on a regular basis.
MAY ALLAH TA”AALA PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF THE MUSLIM UMMAH AND HELP US TO OVERCOME THESE CHALLENGES. AAMEEN