_“Whoever relieves a Muslim of some worldly distress, Allah will relieve him of some of the distress of the Day of Resurrection.”_ (Muslim)
The Social/Marital Department is inundated with marital disputes on a daily basis due to the numerous problems in the Muslim community. For this reason the Jamiat offers marital counselling, mediation, arbitration as well as facilitating the Fasakh (annulment) of marriages.
The Jamiat offers a pre-marital, one-to-one counselling programme, which has proven to be popular with the youth, receiving positive feedback, Alhamdulillah.
This department is currently manned by 4 staff members who attend to the daily enquiries that are raised by wives and husbands alike.
Stats For Nov. 2015 – June 2017
The department attended to over 2500 phone calls & over 3500 emails.
A total of 315 cases were opened with 211 Social/Marital cases & 104 cases requiring counselling.
• The majority of applicants were female, making up 95% of all applications.
• Over 1000 office consultations were conducted, where mediation and counselling was provided.
• Cases can range from anywhere between 1 week to 12 months.
• Cases that could not be resolved by the Social department are referred to the Fatwa department for input.
Below are some of the issues that feature regularly in our cases:
• Lack of commitment displayed by one or both of the spouses
• Excessive use of social media
• Social media used as a tool to name and shame
• Haraam interaction with the opposite sex
• Husbands failing in their duties to fulfil their responsibilities as providers of the family
• Financial exploitation of wives/forced to contribute towards household expenses
• Wives making unreasonable demands on husbands
• Physical abuse extremely common/wives either putting up with the abuse or fleeing the marital home
• Drugs & Alcohol
• Pornography addiction
• Interference from family members
Should anyone wish to seek advice on any marital matters then you may contact the Social department at email@example.com
JAMIATUL ULAMA KZN
Durban South Africa 🇿🇦