Home | Fatwa | Is Qurbani compulsory on a person whose money is tied up in investments?

Is Qurbani compulsory on a person whose money is tied up in investments?

Nasihah (Advice): Giving charity is a responsibility of every Muslim


Sayyiduna Abu Musa Al-Ashari Radiyallahu Anhu reports that Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “Giving in charity is an obligation upon every Muslim”. It was said (to him): “What about one who does not find the means to do so?” He said, “Let him work with his hands, thus doing benefit to himself and give in charity.” It was said to him: “What if he does not have the means to do so or cannot do so?” He said, “Then let him assist the needy, the aggrieved.” It was said: “What about if he cannot even do this?” He said, “Then he should enjoin good.” He was asked: “What if he cannot do that?” He said, “He should then abstain from evil, for verily, that is a charity from him.” (Sahih Bukhari)



  1. Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, there are many people who do not have an income but have money in investments that they cannot access now that make Qurbani compulsory on them. Can other people help them by doing their compulsory Qurbani for them?


(Question published as received)


A.If a mature, sane, non-traveller (Muqeem) person possesses the threshold of Nisaab during the days of sacrifice (Eid-ul-Adha), the performance of Qurbani will become compulsory (Waajib) on them. In calculating the threshold of Nisaab, all of one’s jewellery, cash, savings and investments etc. will be considered.


Therefore, if one possesses the threshold of Nisaab but it is tied up in an investment, the performance of Qurbani will still remain compulsory on them as they fulfil the criteria that makes Qurbani compulsory.


If due to financial constraints, one does not perform their compulsory Qurbani during the days of Eid, it will still remain compulsory to make it up (Qadha) after the days of Eid.


In such a case, it is not only permissible but rewarding to assist such a person by performing their compulsory Qurbani on their behalf if they consent to it. (Hindiyyah 5/294)


And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best


(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.) 


Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians
223 Alpine Road, Overport

Durban, South Africa
Tel : +27 (0) 31 2077099

Email: fatwa@jamiat.org.za
Fax : +27(0) 31 2074163
Website : www.jamiat.org.za





Check Also

Mould your Child

Question: There are parents who allow or insist on their children studying subjects, after school, …

How should a person perform Ruku’ and Sajdah whilst sitting and performing Salaah?

  Nasihah (Advice): Stay focused in Salaah   Sayyiduna Uqbah Bin Aaamir Juhani Radhiyallahu Anhu …