Home | Fatwa | Divorce (Talaaq) | Monetary offering in lieu of Talaaq?

Monetary offering in lieu of Talaaq?

Nasihah (Advice): With regards to the treatment of the wife, Allah says in the Holy Qur’an:  And treat them (your wives) in a good manner. If you dislike them, then it is quite likely that you dislike something and Allah has placed a lot of good in it (Surah an-Nisaa, Verse: 19)



Question and Answer:

Q. Husband was married before he went back to her becoause she received inheritence money . I need to no he never. Suported me n kids for 5 years and never gave me meher ami entitled to offer him money to leeve me




(Query published as received)


A.  A female has the option of offering her Mahr or a sum of money to her husband in lieu of a Talaaq. If the husband accepts this arrangement, one irrevocable divorce will take place and the marriage will terminate.


This is a mutual agreement between the husband and wife known as Khul’ and should be facilitated under the guidance of a reputable Alim.


If the husband refuses and does not cooperate after exhausting efforts to reconcile, she may request for a dissolution of her marriage at her local Jamiat.


And Allah Knows Best



Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed



Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians

Check Also

Some Divorce Questions

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم (1) If a woman is divorced with 1 revocable divorce and then …

Does the father have child custody rights upon divorce?

Question: Sister x and brother y were married for 7 years. Sister x consistently refused …