Below is a collection of 10 Hadith with commentary directly related to music and the playing of musical instruments.
(1) Hadhrat Abu Maalik Ash’ari (radhiyallahu anhu) says that he heard Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) say:”Most certainly, there will be in my Ummah people who will make lawful fornication, silk, liquor and musical instruments.” (Bukhaari)
(2) In another version of this narration, Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Most certainly, people from my Ummah will consume liquor which they will describe with some other name. Over their heads will be playing musical instruments and singing girls. Allah will cause the earth to swallow them, and from among them He will transform into apes and pigs.” (Ibn Maajah)
The punishment for music and singing is exceptionally severe. Some juhhaal (ignoramuses) have attempted to escape the condemnation of music and singing stated in this Hadith by presenting a baseless argument.
They argue that the punishment mentioned in this Hadith applies to a collective act which consists of four deeds, viz., fornication, silk, liquor and music.
It is their contention that musical instruments by themselves are not evil, hence not haraam. only when used together with the haraam acts will it also become haraam, hence the Hadith mentions it along with the other three sinful deeds.
The logical conclusion of this absurd argument is that if fornication is committed in isolation of the other three deeds, it will be lawful. Similarly, if liquor is consumed alone, i.e. without the accompaniment of music, fornication, and silken garments, it will be halaal. Similarly, wearing silk will be permissible for males according to this ludicrous logic if it is unaccompanied by the other three acts.
The absurdity of this fallacious argument is self-evident. There is no need for discussing it further. This Hadith is an unambiguous assertion of the hurmat (being haraam/prohibition) of musical instruments.
(3) Imraan Bin Husain (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “In this Ummah will be earthquakes, disfiguration (of faces which will be transformed into apes and pigs) and showers of stone (descending on them from the heaven).” A man from among the Muslimeen said: “O Rasulullah! When will this be?
“Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “When singing girls and musical instruments will become profuse and when liquor will be consumed (in abundance).”(Tirmizi)
(4) Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu anhu) narrated that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “During the last of ages (in close proximity to Qiyaamah) a nation from my Ummah will be disfigured (and transformed) into apes and pigs.” The Sahaabah said: “O Rasulullah! Will they be Muslim?”
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Yes. They will be testifying that there is no deity but Allah and that I am His Rasool, and they will be fasting (in the month of Ramadhaan).” The Sahaabah asked: “O Rasulullah! What will be their condition (to warrant such chastisement)?”
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “They will be indulging in musical instruments, singing girls, musical drums, and they will be consuming liquor. They will one night go to sleep after their liquor and amusement. When they arise in the morning, they will have been disfigured (and transformed into apes and pigs).” (Kaf-fur Ruaa’)
It is apparent from this Hadith that the musical drum (the tablah of the qawwaals) and similar other kinds of musical drums are not the duff mentioned in the Ahaadith. Musical drums have been declared haraam unanimously by all authorities from the very age of the Sahaabah.
(5) According to another Hadith, also narrated by Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu anhu), Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “I take oath by The Being Who has sent me with the Haqq (Truth)! The world will not come to an end until earthquakes, the descent of showers of stones (from the heaven) and disfigurement of faces (which will be transformed into apes and swines) had not taken place.’ The Sahaabah said: ‘When will that happen, O Rasulullah?’ He replied: ‘When you see women seated on saddles (i.e. riding horses and in this age, driving cars); when singing girls are to be found in profusion; when false testimony becomes rampant, and when homosexuality and lesbianism become prevalent.” (Bazzaar and Tibraani)
All these evil deeds mentioned in this Hadith are widely prevalent in this age. Women driving vehicles has become a norm in even Muslim society. Music and singing have become accepted practices in even Muslim homes.
Among the signs of Qiyaamah are the acts of music and singing which have permeated every facet of life.
Even the pious people who are averse to music and singing are unable to protect their ears from the satanic din of music and singing which blares in the streets, in the shops,
in the factories, in the planes, in the offices, on the cellphones and even in the public toilets. Even the Musaajid are becoming proliferated with musical tunes of the confounded cellphones belonging to confounded people who have absolutely no fear and shame for Allah Ta’ala, no respect for His Musaajid and the musallis of the Musaajid.
In flagrant violation and total disregard for the divine Shariah of Allah Ta’ala, Muslims in this age step out of the way to ensure that the ringing tone of their phones is the voice of shaitaan (music).
And this evil is terribly defiling the holy atmosphere of Musjidul Haraam in Makkah and Musjidun Nabawi in Madinah.
May Allah Ta’ala save us from His chastisement. We now only have to wait for the disfiguration and transformation of faces of these evil people into apes and pigs, and also for the showers of stone to rain from the heavens.
(6) Hadhrat Ali Bin Abi Taalib (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “When my Ummah indulges in fifteen misdeeds, calamities will settle on them. Among these are singing girls and musical instruments.”(Tirmizi)
7) Sahl Bin Sa’d (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “There will befall this Ummat earthquakes, disfigurement of faces and showers of stones.’ It was said: ‘O Rasulullah! When will this happen?’ Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: ‘When singing girls become in profusion and liquor is made lawful.” (Ibn Maajah)
Numerous Sahaabah have narrated Ahaadith in which Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) warned of disasters overwhelming the Ummah as a consequence of the profusion of music, singing and singing girls. Among these Sahaabah are:
Hadhrat Abu Maalik Ash’ari,
Hadhrat Imraan Bin Husain,
Hadhrat Abu Hurairah,
Hadhrat Sahl Bin Sa’d As-Saaidi,
Hadhrat Ubaadah Bin Saamit,
Hadhrat Abu Umaamah,
Hadhrat Ibn Abbaas,
Hadhrat Saeed Bin Khudri,
Hadhrat Abdullah Bin Bishr,
Hadhrat Anas, Hadhrat Abdur Rahmaan Bin Saabit and Hadhrat Aishah (ridhwaanullaahi alayhim aj-maeen).
(8) Hadhrat Naafi’ (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates: “Once when Hadhrat Abdullah Bin Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) heard the sound of a shepherd’s flute, he placed his fingers in both ears (to block the sound of the music), and he diverted his mount from that path. (As they rode on), he would say: ‘O Naafi’, can you still hear (the sound)?’ I would say: ‘Yes.’ He would then continue riding. only when I said: ‘I can no longer hear it’, did he remove his fingers from his ears. Then he returned to the road. He then said: ‘I saw Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) doing like this when he had heard the flute of a shepherd.” (Ahmad and Abu Dawood)
This was the reaction of the devotees of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). They could not tolerate the voice of shaitaan.
When music dinned into their ears, they literally plugged their ears with their fingers. By what stretch of reasoning and on what basis of shame and honesty can it be claimed that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) had permitted music and singing?
He had described it as the voice of shaitaan. He would plug his ears to block the sound of shaitaan’s voice entering his ears.
(9) Hadhrat Abdullah Bin Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates:”Verily, Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) made haraam liquor, gambling, the musical drum and the tambourine. And, every intoxicant is haraam.” (Ahmad and Abu Dawood)
(10) Hadhrat Ibn Abbaas (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Verily, Allah has made haraam liquor, gambling, the musical drum, and every intoxicant is haraam.” (Ahmad, Abu Dawood, Baihqi, etc.)