THE POST EXAM PERIOD
By Abu Muhammad Yusuf
Our children are a trust given to us by Allah. Depending on the upbringing we give them, we may nurture them to be morally good and upright persons or if they are just left uncared and untrained they may become innocent victims of the environment and left to become morally bereft. There is a great responsibility that has to be borne by both parents and guardians.
Allah Ta’ala says:
“O you who believe! Save yourselves and your families from the fire..”
(Quran-Surah 66 -6)
The Noble Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:
“Lo! All of you are leaders and shall be questioned on the day of Judgement in respect of your trust. So, the king is head unto his subjects and shall be question in respect of them, the husband is a head unto his wife and shall be questioned in respect of her, the wife is a head unto her husband’s house and the children, and shall be questioned in respect of them all; the slave is-a watchman unto his master’s effects and shall be questioned in respect of those. So you all shepherds and you shall be questioned in respect of that entrusted to you.”
(Hadith:Bhukhari – Muslim)
An Earnest Appeal to Parents
The post exam is a period of care-free relaxation and indulgence. It is the common practice of students during this interim to indulge in frivolous pursuits not to mention haraam(forbidden) and abominable actions. It is extreme foolishness and utter dimwittedness to indulge in things which Allah has, explicitly through the Qur’aan Majeed and Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam, forbade us from.
It is the objective of shaytaan(satan), the accursed, to deviate the ummah by means of false promises and the notion that such – and – such an activity is wide-spread and therefore acceptable and a norm. Parents and students alike should take heed of the warning given by Allah Ta’ala not to indulge in activities that cause harm spiritually and socially.
As a parent, are you prepared to see your Beloved Child Burning? If a child is set alight, flailing his arms and screaming in agony, will any respected human being, forget a parent, be able to witness such horror without it affecting the heart and forcing the body into action, to extinguish such fire and saving the child? It is not possible for any person to be a passive spectator in such an event. Therefore, how is it possible for parents to allow our children to engage in activities which only paves the way to ultimate destruction, i.e. Jahannam (Hell), not to mention, the misery we light in our hearts right here in this earthly life when we suddenly realize that our dear children have become involved in some destructive addiction or haraam relationship. By then it is too late. Let us act now and secure our youths future.
The Messenger of Allah(peace be upon him) is reported to have said: “Youth is a kind of madness” (Hadith).What are we doing to save our dear and beloved ones?
Despicable Activities commonly engaged in by the Youth:
2. Time being spent at evil places (night clubs etc)
3. Associating with friends who have evil habits
4. Alcohol and drugs
5. Gang fights
7. Unsupervised Internet chatrooms
8. Returning home in the early parts of the morning
9. Free intermingling of sexes
10. Zina (adultery, fornication)
What can we do…
- Do not send them to school after exams unless proper control and supervision is present. (An idol mind is the devils workshop)
- Explore constructive Islamic ways to keep them occupied.
- Draw up a program for the post exam period. Include your kids in your discussions and decisions. Make them feel part of it.
- Parents should interact and spend quality time with their kids.
- Choice of friends is so important! Don’t ever underestimate peer pressure. The Noble Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend” (Hadith-Tirmidhi).
- Ensure punctuality in Prayers at its FIXED times.
- Encourage reading of good Islamic Books.
- Let them explore nature. Start or maintain a garden. Go on a hike, feed birds etc
- To send the males in the path of Allah under adult supervision.
- Females to participate in taleemi (educational) programmes in the neighbourhood and at home.
- To assist widows, elderly, orphans and visiting patients in hospital.
- To participate in volunteer work e.g. any Islamic activities supported and supervised by Ulema or responsible adults.
- If your kids want to go on any outing then accompany them to such places, only if such places are Islamically acceptable, otherwise prohibit them from going.
- Engage the younger kids in activities such as Islamic arts and crafts.
- Engage in activities like memorization of Qur’an and the Zikr of Allah,learning duas(dua a day) etc.
- Make available some good Islamic cd’s such as lectures, nasheeds, Qur’an,zikr etc
- Encourage kids to assist parents in any household activities. Painting, cleaning the garage etc
- Try and create activities that will develop them mentally, spiritually and morally.
Kids are your amongst our most precious assets…Value Them!
Just like in a garden the more time and effort you spent nurturing it, the better fruit and flowers it will indeed produce! Likewise inculcating good habits and morals in our kids will make them blossom morally and spiritually and will ultimately be a means of happiness in this world and salvation in the hereafter.
IMPORTANT: *SPEND AS MUCH QUALITY TIME AS POSSIBLE WITH YOUR KIDS!!!!!…There is NO substitute to Parental Guidance & Supervision!!!!
Don’t forget to ask Allah for Protection & Help as Nothing can be achieved without the help of Allah Ta’ala! Allah Ta’ala indeed accepts the duas (supplications) of parents in favour of their children.