THE STERLING ADVICE OF HAZRAT UMAR (R.A)
Hadhrat Sa’eed bin Musayyib (R.A) reports that there were guidelines that Hadhrat Umar (R.A) formulated for the people, every one which are replete with wisdom. He (R.A.) said:
- Always assume the best about your brother unless you learn something about him that you absolutely cannot reconcile.
- Never assume the worst about any statement that a Muslim makes as long as you are able to make a favorable interpretation.
- The person who exposes himself to slander must never rebuke anyone who holds a bad opinion of him.
- Ensure that you keep true friends to stay under their wings because they are a source of beauty during times of prosperity and a means of protection during times of hardship.
- Always speak the truth even if it may lead to your death.
- Never delve into matters that don’t concern you.
- Do not ask about matters that have not occurred because that which has already occurred is enough to preoccupy you from that which has not.
- Never seek your needs from one who doesn’t want to seek your success.
- Never treat false oaths lightly because Allah Ta’aala will then destroy you.
- Never keep company of the sinners to from their sinful ways.
- Keep away from your enemy.
- Beware even of your friends, except for the trustworthy one and none can be trustworthy unless he fears Allah Ta’aala .
- Be humble when in the graveyard.
- Submit to Allah Ta’aala’s obedience.
- Seek Allah Ta’aal’s protection at the time of disobeying his commands.
- Always consult with those who fear Allah Ta’aala. They are bound to be of great benefit to you as opposed to those who do not fear him.