By Areeba Altaf on 17 August 2013.
PEACE of mind, contentment, happiness and freedom from worries and anxiety – this is what everyone wants to have a good life and find complete happiness and joy.
Looking after your emotional health is just as important as caring for your physical health. People who are emotionally healthy are in control of their emotions and behavior. They’re able to handle life’s inevitable challenges, build strong relationships, and lead productive, fulfilling lives. They bounce back when bad things happen and can manage stress without falling apart.
It takes time and commitment to build emotional health, but there’s a huge payoff. The more you make healthy choices that strengthen your emotional health, the better you’ll feel.
Being emotionally and mentally healthy doesn’t mean never going through bad times or not experiencing emotional problems. We all go through disappointments, loss, and change. And while these are normal parts of life, they can still cause sadness, anxiety, and stress.
The difference is that people with good emotional health have an ability to bounce back from adversity, trauma, and stress. People with positive outlook remain focused, flexible, and creative even in bad times. But it’s not easy to maintain a healthy, positive emotional state. Because people often misjudge what will make them happy and content!
What is Emotional health?
Mental or emotional health refers to your overall psychological well-being. It includes the way you feel about yourself, the quality of your relationships, and your ability to manage your feelings and deal with difficulties. It is a sense of contentment, a zest for living and the ability to enjoy life, and a sense of meaning and purpose in both your activities and relationships. The flexibility to learn new things and adapt to changes. Having self-confidence and high self-esteem.
How to achieve good emotional health?
1. Prayer with complete devotion and sincerity: Performing ritual acts of worship with perfection and seeking forgiveness from God helps one to achieve good emotional balance.
2. Manage your stress levels: Stress takes a heavy toll on mental and emotional health, so it’s important to keep it under control. While not all stressors can be avoided, stress management strategies can help you bring things back into balance. Try to avoid becoming absorbed by repetitive mental habits; negative thoughts about yourself and the world around drain your energy and trigger feelings of anxiety, fear, and depression.
3. Do things that positively impact others: Being useful to others regardless of what community they belong to and being valued for what you did for them can help build self-esteem. Make people feel your absence!
4. Realize your values and capabilities: When you are living your life in harmony with your values, you naturally have more energy, fulfillment, balance and stress-free living. The standards you set for yourself become the expressions of your values in everyday life. Your values represent your unique and individual essence and your way of being and relating to others. We should discover our unique capabilities with which we can change the world around us.
5. Clear the clutter: Clutter is not just those physical things hoarded for years. It includes relationships, time commitments and other things that use up more of your energy than you can afford to give them. Cleaning up your life and just keeping things that support you in your chosen lifestyle boosts your energy levels, gives you joy and protects your values since you are no longer wasting time and mental thoughts on things not of importance to you. You can now focus on the things that really matter.
De-cluttering means to eliminate the things that cause worry and to achieve the things that bring happiness. It may be done by forgetting about bad things in the past which cannot be changed, and realizing that dwelling on them is a waste of time. And watching your time commitments and not making any promises without giving due thought and consideration of what will be required from you. A person must strive to stop himself from feeling anxious about the future like imagination of poverty, fear and other bad things that might happen to him.
6. Enjoy the beauty of nature or art: A simple walk through a garden can lower blood pressure and reduce stress.
7. Express your emotions: To be emotionally healthy you must express your emotions in a healthy and assertive way.
8. Exercise: Regular exercise and indulgence in sport activities will help a person stay busy.
These positive characteristics of mental and emotional health allow you to participate in life to the fullest extent possible through productive, meaningful activities and strong relationships. Emotionally healthy people feel safe and secure with their own emotions and feelings. They feel their feelings and emotions instead of avoiding them or trying to control them.
These positive characteristics also help you cope when faced with life’s challenges and stresses. Positive emotions are linked with better health and greater well-being. On the other hand, chronic anger, worry, and hostility increases the risk of developing heart diseases, as people react to these feelings with raised blood pressure and stiffening of blood vessels.
BE A FRIEND, BE A BLESSING…And feel the change in your life!