Home | Fatwa | Family Matters | Is a child obliged to give Sadaqah on behalf of his deceased parent’s request?

Is a child obliged to give Sadaqah on behalf of his deceased parent’s request?


Nasihah (Advice): Give charity during your lifetime


Sayyiduna Abu Saeed Khudri Radhiyallahu Anhu reports that Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “A man giving a dirham as Sadaqah (charity) during his life is better than giving one hundred dirhams as Sadaqah (charity) at the last moment of his life.” (Abu Dawood)



Question and Answer:


  1. After my father gave me a house, he requested that I give R500 on a monthly basis for him as Sadaqah Jaariyah. Due to the current situation, I am having difficulty doing so. Am I still obligated to give the Saqadah Jaariyah for him?


(Question published as received)


  1. A) If after your father gifted a house to you, he requested that R500 be given on his behalf on a Monthly basis as Saqadah, the request will be optional and not an obligation upon you to fulfil.


Therefore, you may fulfil your fathers request at your discretion.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Mufti Moosa Salie


(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.) 


Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians
223 Alpine Road, Overport

Durban, South Africa
Tel : +27 (0) 31 2077099

Email: fatwa@jamiat.org.za
Fax : +27(0) 31 2074163
Website : www.jamiat.org.za





Check Also

Who was Yazeed ibn Mu`aawiyah?

Question Please enlighten us on who was Yazeed ibn Mu`aawiyah? He was once the Caliph …

Yazid & Beloved Muawiyah RadhiyAllahu Anhu

Question: Molana Sahib, Mawiyah fought a battle with the IV Caliph where  thousands of Muslims …