1. Can u please inform me if making wedding cakes is permissible?
2. Is it permissible 2 make novelty cakes eg.in the shape of a car or a barbie doll cake.
3. What is the ruling in the following situation? A lady asked me 2 make cupcakes and i am not sure if they are for a birthday or not. Is the money from the sale of these cakes permissible 2 give as Sadaqatul Fitr?
1) Weddings are occasions of happiness and joy. To bake a cake on this occasion out of happiness is permissible. However, the trends of the Kuffar in baking the cake should be avoided. E.g., adding candles, figurines, dolls etc.
2) It is permissible on condition that it is not given the shape of an animate object. Thus, making a cake in the shape of a doll is not permissible.
3) The money from the sale of the cupcakes will be permissible and Halaal. One may use the money for ones personal use or discharge the Sadaqatul Fitr with it.
And Allah Knows Best
Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed
Checked and Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Jamiatul Ulama Fatwa Department